Ingredients (serves 2):
- 6 cup ichiban dashi (see here) or add 2 tsp. instant dashi + 6 cups water
- 5 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 5 Tbsp. sake (Japanese rice wine)
- 4 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. nappa cabbage, cut into 2-3" squares
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, whole, stems removed
- 1/2 gobo (burdock), sliced and soaked in water for 5-10 minutes
- 1 carrot, sliced into 1/4" thick slices
- 1/2 pkg. tofu, cut into 1-1/2” small blocks
- 6 stalks green onions, diagonally cut into 2-3" lengths
For chicken meatballs:
- 1 lb. ground chicken meat
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tsp. dark sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp. salt
*This recipe was developed for Gourmet d'Expert® Electric Skillet (EP-RAC50). Adjustments may be necessary when using other models.
In a bowl, mix all ingredients for chicken meatballs and mix well with your hands. Wet your hands and make bite sized balls and set aside.
Place dashi, soy sauce, sake, mirin and salt in the Gourmet d’Expert® Electric Skillet and set temperature to HIGH (480°F/250°C).
When the soup reaches a boil, add nappa cabbage, shiitake, drained gobo, carrot, tofu and green onions.
Skim off any scum that rises to the surface and turn down the heat to MEDIUM (320°F/180°C). Cook for 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.
Add chicken meatballs to the skillet and turn down the heat to LOW (280°F/140°C). Cook for 5 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
Set the skillet to KEEP WARM, take cooked ingredients from the pot and serve.
This dish is also perfect to enjoy at-the-table. Place the Gourmet d’Expert® Electric Skillet at the center of the dining table, and guests can serve themselves! Enjoy!