Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 lb. beef, thinly sliced (available at most Asian markets)
- 3 Tbsp. white wine or sake (rice wine)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. grated ginger
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 cup ichiban dashi (see here) or 1 tsp. dashinomoto + 1 cup water
- 6 cups cooked short or medium grain white (see here) or brown rice (see here)
In a bowl, marinate beef with wine or sake, sugar, mirin, salt, soy sauce and grated ginger.
Place onion and dashi in a sauce pan. Cook for 5 minutes at medium heat.
Add marinated beef to the sauce pan, cover with lid and continue to cook for 5 more minutes or until beef is cooked through.
Fill each serving bowl with cooked rice and top with cooked beef and onion.
Serve while hot with optional pickled red ginger.