Tamago-Donburi (Egg Bowl)
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 1/8 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup ichiban dashi (see here) or 1/3 tsp. dashinomoto + 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. sake (rice wine)
- 1 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/4 cups cooked short or medium grain white (see here) or brown rice (see here)
- Green onion, thinly sliced
- Nori (seaweed) (optional)
In a small pan (use one that is the same diameter or slightly smaller than your serving bowl), add onion, dashi, sake, mirin, salt, soy sauce and cook for 5 minutes at medium heat.
Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl. Add the eggs to the pan with the onion mixture.
Wait until the eggs start to coagulate – about a minute. Slowly push the edge of the egg mixture to the center of the pan with a spatula, cover with a lid and reduce heat to low, continue to cook for approximately 30 seconds.
Fill serving bowl with cooked rice and slide omelette with sauce on top.
Garnish with green onion and optional nori.