Ingredients (serves 3):
- 3 cups cooked sushi rice (see here)
- 8 sheets nori (Seaweed), cut in halves
- Soy sauce
- Gari (pickled ginger)
- Shrimp, boiled
- Smoked salmon
- Salmon roe
- Japanese cucumber (or English cucumber)
- Green onion
- Perilla (Ooba)
- Daikon sprouts
- Red leaf Lettuce
Prepare the ingredients. This part probably takes the most time, but once it’s ready, there won’t be any further cooking for the chef.
- Cook and make the sushi rice--allow the time to cool it properly because it tastes better when cooled than when warm.
- Carefully slice whatever ingredient you prefer, whether fish, vegetables or meat, into elongated strips that will better fit your hand-roll.
- Be sure to provide soy sauce, wasabi and ginger for your guests who want them.
- Finally, take some time to arrange all your ingredients artistically on a large plate. It's the little details that go a long way toward a strong visual presentation.
Place a sheet of nori on one hand, and place a ball of rice at the edge.
Place the ingredients diagonally on top of the rice.
Fold in the corner of the nori wrap.
Then wrap into a cone shape. Practice makes perfect; you should be rolling perfect pieces in no time.
You won't believe how much fun this is--and everyone gets to eat their creations!
For any hand-rolled sushi, do not overload! The trick to better looking sushi is to use your ingredients sparingly.