Baked "Mac and Cheese" Style Brown Rice
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 2 cups (rice measuring cup) short grain brown rice
- Water to fill to water level 2 for “BROWN RICE”
To Prepare Separately:
- 1 cup whole or skim milk
- 1 Tbsp. of corn starch, dissolved in 2 Tbsp. cold milk
- 1/2 cup each grated cheddar, Monterey jack, mozzarella and ricotta cheeses
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground cayenne or other hot chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese; grated
Measure rice accurately using the plastic measuring cup that came with your Zojirushi rice cooker and add to the inner cooking pan. Fill the pan with cold water and quickly rinse the rice once to remove any debris, and drain.
water to the corresponding water level for “BROWN RICE.” Cook the rice using the “BROWN” setting.
While rice is cooking, heat milk to a boil and thicken by stirring starch mixture into simmering milk. Remove thickened milk from heat and, while still hot, stir in cheeses to melt. Once smooth, season with Worcestershire sauce, nutmeg, cayenne powder and salt.
When rice completes cooking, add to the warm cheese mixture and pour into heat resistant baking dish.
Using a soup spoon, make small holes in the rice/cheese mixture at random intervals, fill with a spoon full of crushed tomatoes and smooth over to cover tomatoes. Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese on top.
Bake in an oven pre-heated to 425 degrees until bubbling and crisp, golden brown on top.
Serve with green salad on the side.