Ingredients (serves 4-6):
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 2 cups (rice measuring cup) long grain white rice
- 2-1/2 cups (rice measuring cup) water
- 2 fresh basil leaves, whole
- 1 dry bay leaf, whole
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme leaves, remove from stem
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper, coarse ground
To Add to Cooked, Cooled Rice:
- 6-8 oz. fresh mozzarella, cut into large bite sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, slightly toasted
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
This recipe was developed for Zojirushi rice cooker models listed here. Adjustments may be necessary when using other models.
Measure rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker. Rinse rice quickly once, drain and place in the inner cooking pan.
In a separate bowl, mix salt and pepper into the water, and add to the inner cooking pan. Place the herbs on top of the rice.
Cook the rice using the “MIXED” setting.
While rice cooks, combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Refrigerate the mixture and allow to marinade.
When rice completes cooking, discard basil and bay leaf. Gently fluff the rice with rice spatula, and spread out onto a large plate. Refrigerate to cool, about 30 minutes.
When rice cools, add rice to the marinated tomato/mozzarella mixture, and toss gently.