Chicken Vindaloo (Indian Chicken Curry)
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 2 cups (rice measuring cup) basmati rice
- 3 cups (rice measuring cup) water
- 1-1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into thirds
- 1 Tbsp. garam masala
- 2 Tbsp. kashmiri chili powder (may substitute with Hungarian paprika)
- 1/8 tsp. red chili powder, adjust amount for preferred hotness
- 3 Tbsp. coconut vinegar (may substitute with wine vinegar)
- 1 tsp. palm sugar (may substitute with light brown sugar)
- 2 Tbsp. garlic, crushed
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, crushed
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. ghee (may substitute with vegetable oil)
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds, whole
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb. baby potatoes, whole or cut into halves
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Measure rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker. Rinse quickly once, drain and place in the inner cooking pan.
Add water, and cook the rice using the “WHITE RICE ” setting.
In a large plastic bag, place chicken thighs and all ingredients from the marinade list and mix inside the plastic bag. Marinate for 15 minutes to 1 hour.
Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat, add mustard seeds and cook until seeds start to pop, about 30 seconds. Be careful of the popping seeds.
Add onions into the pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add chicken and potatoes and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, water and bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes until sauce thickens and the chicken and potatoes are cooked. Stir sporadically.
Add lime juice and adjust flavor to your preference with salt (not included in the ingredients list). Remove from heat.
When rice completes cooking, gently fluff the rice using the rice spatula and serve onto individual plates.
Spoon curry into individual bowls and sprinkle chopped coriander.
Serve with rice and enjoy while hot!