Crab & Cucumber Sunomono (Japanese Salad)
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 3 oz. cucumber, Japanese or Persian preferred
- A pinch of salt
- 4 oz. crab meat, cooked, snow or king crab preferred
- 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/3 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1 tsp. water or ichiban dashi (see here)
- 1/8 tsp. grated fresh ginger
Put all ingredients for dressing in a small sauce pan, bring to a boil and set aside. Allow to cool.
Slice cucumbers thinly with a mandolin or a knife (if using American cucumber, peel and deseed before slicing). Place in a bowl, add a pinch of salt and mix well.
Check and remove any cartilages or shells from crabmeat and cut into bite size pieces.
After dressing cools, squeeze out water from cucumbers and mix in half of the dressing.
Place cucumbers and crabmeat in a bowl, pour remaining dressing and mix well.
Serve in individual bowls for an authentic presentation.