Ingredients (serves 4):
- 8 oz. smoked Andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 cup okra, fresh or frozen, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbsp. Creole seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 cups shrimp stock or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 cups cooked long grain rice
- 4 green onions, sliced into small slivers
Sauté Andouille sausage in a pan for approximately 3 minutes, or until surface is brown, drain fat and set aside.
Heat oil in a large sauce pan over low heat. Mix in the flour while stirring constantly, and cook until it turns dark golden brown - about 5 minutes.
Add onion, celery and green pepper, and cook until tender - about 6 minutes.
Add the garlic and okra, and cook for another 6 minutes.
Add Creole seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, shrimp or chicken stock and bring to a boil.
Add cooked sausage from step 1, cover with lid and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Check the taste and consistency, adjust with water, salt and pepper if necessary.
Add shrimp and cook until just done - about 4 minutes.
Fill each serving bowl with 1 cup of cooked rice, ladle gumbo over rice and garnish with green onion. Serve with optional hot sauce.