Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 small onion, finely minced
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 9 oz. ground beef
- 9 oz. ground pork
- 1 cup panko* (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg, grated
- All purpose flour for dusting
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
For sauce A (Western):
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup hot water
For sauce B (Japanese):
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 4 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 4 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. corn starch (mixed with 1 Tbsp. cold or room temperature water)
- Cabbage, shredded
- Cherry tomatoes
* You can make your own panko: coarsely tear stale white bread, then crush by using the pulse setting of your food processor.
*This recipe was developed for the Gourmet d'Expert® Electric Skillet (EP-RAC50). Adjustments may be necessary when using other models.
Finely mince the onion and set the Gourmet d’Expert® Electric Skillet to 360ºF. Sauté onion with butter for 5 minutes and turn off the heat. Scoop out onion and spread on a plate to cool down and set aside.
When the onion cools down, place both ground meats, cooked onion, panko, beaten egg, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a large bowl. Mix very well with a clean hand.
Divide mixture into 12 oval patties, each about 3/4 inch thick. Slightly dent the center of each patty, lightly dust with flour and set aside.
Set the Gourmet d’Expert® Electric Skillet to 360ºF and add vegetable oil. Place prepared meat patties on skillet and brown both sides - about 3 minutes on each side.
Turn the skillet to 280ºF, add 2 tablespoons of water then cover with the lid and cook for 5 minutes or until it is done.
Turn off the heat, take patties off the skillet and remove extra grease from the skillet with a paper towel.
Set the skillet to 280ºF, add all sauce ingredients (A or B) to the skillet and mix. After small bubbles come to the surface, cook for 1 minute and turn off the heat.
Plate patties with garnish, spoon the sauce over and enjoy!