New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice
Ingredients (serves 4):
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. Louisiana style hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbsp. celery, minced
- 1 Tbsp. onion, minced
- 1 Tbsp. green bell pepper, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. Andouille sausage, minced
- 4 Tbsp. canned red kidney beans
- 2 cups (rice measuring cup) long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups (rice measuring cup) chicken broth
This recipe was developed for Zojirushi rice cooker models listed here
. Adjustments may be necessary when using other models.
Prepare ingredients to cook with rice. In a bowl, combine olive oil, salt, hot sauce, thyme, celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, sausage and kidney beans and mix well.
Measure rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker. Rinse rice quickly once, drain and place in the inner cooking pan.
Add chicken broth to rice. Place sausage mixture evenly on top of rice and make sure they are submerged in the broth. Do not mix with rice.
Place the inner cooking pan in the rice cooker and close the lid. Cook the rice using the “MIXED” setting.
When rice completes cooking, gently fluff the rice using the rice spatula to loosen it.
Serve on warm plate.
Optional: Top rice with your favorite meat or fish.