Oyako-Donburi (Chicken and Egg Bowl)
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 0.3 lb. chicken thigh meat, boneless and skinless
- 1/4 onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup ichiban dashi (see here) or 1/2 tsp. dashinomoto + 2/3 cup water
- 1 Tbsp. sake (rice wine)
- 2 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups cooked short or medium grain white (see here) or brown rice (see here)
- Mitsuba (Japanese cryptotaenia) or cilantro
Cut chicken thigh into bite-sized pieces.
In a frying pan, add chicken, onion, dashi, sake, mirin, salt, soy sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
Lightly beat egg in a bowl. Pour 2/3 of beaten egg evenly over the chicken and onion mixture. Cook until the egg coagulate – about a minute.
Pour the remaining egg to the pan. When the egg start to coagulate, about 30 seconds, turn heat off. Cover with lid and allow to set for one minute.
Fill serving bowls with warmed rice. Top with chicken omelet and drizzle with sauce to your preference.
Garnish with optional mitsuba.