Salsa Verde Style Brown Rice
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 2 cups (rice measuring cup) short grain brown rice
- Water to fill to water level 2 for "BROWN RICE"
To Prepare Separately:
- 12 oz. fresh or frozen spinach
- 1/4 cup water from cooking or defrosting spinach, or as needed
- 1 shallot, peeled
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp. caper in brine, drained
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 canned anchovy filets
- 1-2 oz. Grating cheese such as Ricotta salata cheese
Measure rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker. Rinse rice quickly once, drain and place in the inner
Add water to the corresponding water level for “BROWN RICE,” and cook the rice using the “BROWN” setting.
While rice cooks, prepare the salsa verde mixture. Cook fresh spinach in rapidly boiling salted water (not included in ingredient list). If using frozen spinach, defrost in a microwave. Reserve 1/4 cup of spinach water for blending.
In a blender, add spinach, spinach water and all other ingredients except garnish and puree until smooth.
Pour pureed sauce into a sauce pot and heat gently to warm the sauce. Keep warm until rice completes cooking.
When rice completes cooking, add sauce to rice and gently combine using the rice spatula.
Spoon into individual serving bowls and garnish with grated cheese. Serve while hot.