Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1/2 lb. white shrimp, deveined and shelled
- 1 scallion
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 tsp. finely grated ginger
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 cups ichiban dashi (see here) or 1 tsp. dashi powder with 3 cups water
- 1 Tbsp. sake (rice wine)
- 1 tsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 oz. snow peas, blanched in salted water
Mince shrimp and scallion by knife (or pulse in a food processor) and place in a bowl.
Add egg white, ginger, corn starch, salt and mix well.
In a medium sauce pan, place dashi, sake, mirin, soy sauce, salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
Wet hands and make 8 balls from the shrimp mixture, and drop in the broth. Scoop any residual bits that float with a spider.
After all balls have floated to surface, taste broth and adjust with salt if necessary. Allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
Julienne the blanched snow peas and add to the soup just before serving.