Shrimp Yakimeshi, Stir-Fried Rice
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 3 cups (rice measuring cup) short or medium grain white or brown rice
- Water to fill to water level 3 for "WHITE RICE" or "BROWN RICE"
To Prepare Separately:
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 scallions, both green and white parts, cut thin diagonally
- 10 oz. small shrimp, cleaned, shelled, frozen or fresh, cut into half diagonally
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2/3 cup frozen edamame soybeans or green peas, cooked in boiling water for 1 minute, cooled under cold tap water and drained
- 2 to 3 tsp. shoyu (soy sauce)
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper powder or freshly ground black peppercorn
Measure rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice
cooker. Rinse white rice until water clears, or rinse quickly once if using brown rice, drain and place in the
inner cooking pan.
water to the corresponding water level for “WHITE RICE” or “BROWN RICE,” whichever you are using. Cook the rice using the “HARDER,” “REGULAR” (if available), or "WHITE RICE" setting for white rice, and the “BROWN” setting for brown rice.
When rice completes cooking, transfer the rice to a strainer and rinse under cold tap water to cool the rice and remove excess starch. Drain the rice and let stand 20 minutes before stir-frying. When using rice that has been previously cooked and stored in the refrigerator, omit this step.
Heat 2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil in a wok or a large skillet and cook the eggs over moderately high heat. When the bottom of the eggs become firm, give several large stirs with a spatula and transfer the egg to a bowl. At this stage, the egg is still tender and is a mixture of the firm cooked part and runny part.
Add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of vegetable oil to the wok or skillet and cook the garlic and scallion until fragrant over high heat, about 20 seconds. Add the shrimp and salt and cook until the outsides of the shrimp are white, stirring the mixture continuously with a spatula.
Add the rinsed or cold rice and cook heated through, stirring continuously with a spatula. Add the green peas or soybeans and cook until heated through. Add the reserved eggs. Season with shoyu and white or black peppercorn.
Divide and serve in 4 to 6 bowls while hot.