Thai Oatmeal Salad with Eggplant
NOTE: This recipe CANNOT be made in the Pressure IH Rice Cooker (NP-HTC10/18, NP-NVC10/18 models)
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- 1 cup (rice measuring cup) steel cut oats
- Water to fill to water level 1 for "STEEL CUT OATMEAL" or 2-1/2 cups (rice measuring cup)
- 1 eggplant
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 8 oz. small tomatoes (cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes)
- 2 fresh bird's eye chili (Thai red chili pepper), (may substitute with small red chilies of your choice), chopped, adjust amount for preferred hotness
- 2 tsp. garlic, grated
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. palm sugar (may substitute with light brown sugar)
For Toppings (Optional):
- 1/3 cup chopped peanuts, roasted and unsalted
*Please use the rice measuring cup that came with your rice cooker.
Measure steel cut oats accurately using the
measuring cup that came with your rice cooker. Place steel cut oats in the inner
cooking pan. Add water to the corresponding water level for “STEEL CUT OATMEAL,” or as
listed in the ingredients.
Place the inner cooking pan in the main body of
the rice cooker and plug in the unit. Cook the steel cut oats using the “STEEL CUT OATMEAL” (if available), or the “PORRIDGE” setting.
When the steel cut oats completes cooking, gently fluff the with a rice spatula, and spread onto a large plate. The steel cut oats may be made ahead and stored, refrigerated for up to a day.
Peel eggplant and cut into one inch cubes. Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over medium heat and sauté the eggplants for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Turn heat off and transfer to a large bowl and set aside.
Thinly slice the red onion and cut cilantro into one inch long pieces. Add the onion slices, chopped cilantro and tomatoes to sautéed eggplants.
Make the dressing. Mix all ingredients for dressing in a small bowl and set aside.
Add cooled steel cut oatmeal to the eggplant mixture from step 5. Add the dressing and toss well.
Transfer to a serving plate and top with chopped peanuts.