Ingredients (each serves 3):
For Beef Soboro:
- 8 oz. ground beef (may substitute with ground chicken)
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. sake (Japanese rice wine)
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
For Egg Soboro:
- 3 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 oz. snow peas
- Salt for blanching
- 4 cups cooked short or medium grain white (see here) or brown rice (see here)
Place ground beef in a frying pan and cook at medium heat. Using a whisk, break up the meat into smaller pieces. If your pan is not scratch resistant, use a silicone whisk.
When the beef turns to a pale color, add ginger, sugar, sake, soy sauce and continue to mix and cook until most of liquid has evaporated – about 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Beat eggs in a bowl. Add mirin, salt, sugar and mix well.
Heat frying pan on low, add vegetable oil and egg mixture and stir with a whisk until mixture turns to fluffy scrambled eggs.
Boil water in a pot and add salt and blanch trimmed snow peas for 3 minutes. Drain and cut in diagonal strips.
Place cooked rice in each serving bowl, top with beef soboro, egg soboro and snow peas.