Vegetable Brown Rice Zosui (Japanese Rice Soup)
Ingredients (serves 3-4):
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 1 cup (rice measuring cup) short or medium grain brown rice
- Water to fill to water level 1 for “BROWN RICE”
To Prepare Separately:
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 leaves cabbage, chopped
- 8 oz. bamboo shoots, sliced and boiled (drain if using canned bamboo shoots)
- 3 leaves rainbow Swiss chard, chopped
- 3 green onions, cut into bite-size pieces
- 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 2 eggs
Measure the rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker. Rinse rice quickly once, drain and place in the inner cooking pan. Add
water to the corresponding water level for “BROWN RICE.” Cook the rice using the “BROWN” setting.
When the rice cooker begins to count down to completion, prepare the soup. In a large clay cooking pot or a Dutch oven, place chicken broth, cabbage, bamboo shoots, stem portion of Swiss chard and turn heat to medium high. Once the broth boils, add cooked brown rice and cover with lid.
Cook for 3 minutes, add leaves of Swiss chard, green onions, soy sauce and mirin to the pot then place the lid back on the pot and cook until the broth boils again.
In a small bowl, beat eggs with a fork. Pour over surface of soup, turn off the heat and cover the lid.
Allow eggs to cook for 2 minutes then serve in bowls.