Wild Rice and Chicken Liver Crostini
Ingredients (serves 8-10):
To Cook in the Rice Cooker:
- 1 cup (rice measuring cup) wild rice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 12 oz. water
- 4 fresh sage leaves, whole, do not chop
To Prepare Separately:
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 16 oz. onions, chopped
- 24 oz. chicken liver, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 6 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- For crostini, cut French or Italian bread into 1/3” slices, brush with olive oil and toast until golden brown on both sides
This recipe was developed for Zojirushi rice cooker models listed here. Adjustments may be necessary when using other models.
Measure rice accurately using the measuring cup that came with your rice cooker and place in the inner cooking pan.
Add salt, pepper and water to the inner cooking pan and mix with rice using the rice spatula. Place whole sage leaves on top of the rice. Cook the rice using the “BROWN” setting.
While the rice cooks, prepare the chicken liver combination. In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil until very hot. Add onions and cook until deep, caramel brown.
Reduce heat to low and add sliced chicken liver and cook until medium done. Stir to crumble liver into smaller pieces.
Add minced garlic, sage, salt, pepper, sherry and vinegar to liver and onion mixture and stir to coarsely combine.
When rice completes cooking, discard sage leaves and gently fold liver mixture into rice with rice spatula. Mixture may be made ahead and stored, refrigerated for up to a day.